Did you know, just 5% of our brain’ s making decisions is conscious? Leaving 95% meant for decisions made on a nonconscious degree. As marketers, charged with growing the quality and quantity of conversions (i. e. decisions), how do we deal with the 95%?
Roger Dooley , speaker and author associated with Brainfluence: 100 Methods to Persuade and Convince Consumers along with Neuromarketing , the popular blog Neuromarketing, and Brainy Marketing at Forbes, addressed this in his session from Pubcon pro.
Listed here are the top three takeaways to help you improve your conversions without much more than common sense — and a little user data.
1 . Friction modifications behavior
Momentum is exactly what causes us to keep moving, such as sliding down a slide. Rubbing is what stops us from finishing that motion. When it comes to your electronic properties, like your website, you most likely have specific actions you want potential customers and visitors to take.
In some cases, motivation can overcome rubbing. As an example, Roger told the story showing how his dog (like most) is very motivated by food. He utilizes many ways to try to increase their dog’ s friction while snarfing down his tasty dog meals, but none have slowed your pet down to the point where he gives upward. In this case, his motivation trumps rubbing.
However , as Roger points out, ‘ your customers aren’ big t dogs. ’ And according to Gartner, almost 98% of leads upon site don’ t convert. What this means is there is a significant amount of friction in order to overcome.
second . Lowering friction increases conversion
If you want your prospects to do this on your website, you must reduce rubbing. Since they’ re not however motivated to convert on your web site, you have to make the experience as easy and smooth as possible to help encourage the behavior you need. This friction can come in many methods, for example:
- Perform your prospects have to fill out the crazy-long form before they transform?
- Is the CAPTCHA you’ re using too hard to complete?
- Do your auto-fill configurations routinely malfunction or fill in the incorrect information?
- Does the exact information on your site take a long time to launch, especially on mobile?
Roger encourages us to consider a few steps to help increase conversions simply by reducing friction:
- Test everything, as though you’ ve never been to your own internet site – this is where you’ ll find out if something is damaged, providing a strange user experience, or even unnecessary all together.
- Reduce the complexity of your checkout or even form fill process – Think critically about the information you’ re collecting. If you don’ t need to know that information instantly, don’ t ask for it.
- Evaluate whether or not it seems sensible for users to need to sign up to check out – will that make sense for each interaction? Or even is this something that can be circumvented plus later replaced with a loyalty system, for example.
- Take a look at user data – are your website users taking a lengthy, winding path toward conversion? Could they be giving up halfway, and usually throughout the same point? Use that information to investigate, evaluate, and fix the particular friction they’ re encountering.
3. Reduced friction experiences increase loyalty
Loyalty programs, special offers and discounts, or even advanced advantages don’ t increase loyalty within and of themselves. In fact , according to Accenture, 71% of loyalty programs tend not to increase loyalty. If someone stores with you or routinely visits your website, that behavior can be stemming through convenience or habit.
Loyalty is emotional, not transactional. It’ s the customer’ t experience with your brand that stimulates their loyalty. How easy are you able to make it for them to convert?
He used Amazon as an example right here – their one-click buying choice that shows shoppers exactly how so when they’ ll receive their deal, doesn’ t require additional information, and may be completed in seconds. That’ t the ultimate reduction in friction — and another of the reasons why in 2018 Amazon . com is projected to own 49% associated with online sales.
Their advice is to focus on the outcome that’ s most desired, and find out what the fastest and easiest approach is to consuming that action. Make it easy for users in order to convert, and they’ ll still return and do so. After all, based on Gartner, 94% of users that will reported needing low effort to buy repeated that behavior, compared to 4% with high effort.
For more insights from Pubcon, the actual TopRank Marketing team on the ground: @LaneREllis , @LeeOdden and @Tiffani_Allen . And, stay tuned for more for more insights over the next week to the TopRank Marketing blog.
If you liked Decrease Friction, Increase Loyalty: Key Information from Roger Dooley at #Pubcon Pro by Tiffani Allen Then you'll love Miami Internet Marketing Consultant